Saturday, October 12, 2013

Episode 269 - Page Twenty - Meet the Gluttony Bearer

Recently on Fires of the sky, lots of things have changed after 365 days. Almost every student had to separate and disconnect with each other due to self-anger and terrible memories of the first two years. As the main students rejoiced, they find that Jen can mysteriously read books with empty pages as if they did have text and pictures. It only appears whenever she is reading. Further along the Reunion, the main group finds that Winny has left to Temple City to start a new life, but what is her reason? The students follow her into a new prophecy book that leads into Temple City’s world, much like El Monte’s ‘Arkon’s Magic’. What surprises will the students experience this time?
Episode 269 – Page Twenty – Meet the Gluttony Bearer

            The sky’s weather was very closely related to Temple City near El Monte on Earth. You see, Temple City is a neighboring district, so that’s why they were not a part of the challenges. A little bit closer to El Monte and it would have made it to the same challenges. Therefore, Temple City had its own elemental challenge with other schools. Being about a 15-minute driving distance from El Monte, Temple City’s weather is not that different from El Monte. It was almost 4:30 PM and the sun seemed to start parting ways with the northern portion of the sky.
            Van stood up with a bunch of energy left in her now. “Alrighty! I’m up and ready to go!”
            “About time.” Alex teased her.
            “You annoy me already.” She teased back in a joking manner.
            “Not so fast!” A man said in a whiny voice before the students could even start walking. He yelled loudly enough for the townspeople to stop and look over.
            “Uh… who is this guy?” Shirley said rudely.
            “Which one of you adores food?!”
            “Food is good I guess. I’d probably want to go for Korean.” Alex commented without caring if this man was dangerous or not.
            The man stomped onto the ground. “Geheheh! Then come with me and show me what your cooking skills are made of!”
            “W-What?! I meant I like food, Korean food. That doesn’t mean I’m going to cook something for you, fatty!”
            “What did you call me?!” The giant man said. He was about 6’5 and he looked about over 250 pounds.
            Van stood beside Alex. “We’ll make a quarter-ton meal out of you before you pick a fight with us, mister!”
            “Don’t you mean quarter-pound?” Alex whispered.
            “Be quiet, I’m on a roll here.” Van said to him without turning her head.
            Matt was behind the whole group. He took a step back. “Wait a minute… food? Why are we suddenly talking about food?” He quickly turned around to look for Jen, “Hey, read the next pages!” However, Jen was already gone ahead with Jaime and Nix in order to reach the large building first. “Crap.”
 ~~~
            During the time when the main group stayed at the town to rest, Jen, Jaime, and Nix had already made it to the large building that looked much like the temple. However, they had no idea how to sneak in as there were many guards in golden armor and helmets guarding the front door and garden. There were also monks praying to the side where there were silver stone lions. The three students were hiding behind one of the pillars off to the side-most part of the building.
            “Alright, we’re here. What does the book say?” Jaime asked.
            “Well usually, there are a bunch of pictures instead of words.” Jen said.
            “Those are the best kind of books.”
            “Anyways,” Jen said sighed at his laziness, “The first twenty pages are a bunch of obscure images but there is this fat guy that keeps blocking up the whole picture. All it says is… ‘Gluttony Bearer’ as the only riddle for these pages.”
            Nix pointed at the wolf, “Is that dog edible?”
            “That’s not a dog. That’s a- wolf?! In this town?!” Jen panicked.
            Jaime closed the book for her. “That’s not just any wolf. It’s the other group and they must be under attack by whoever holds Gluttony as one of the seven deadly sins.”
            “Should we go back?” Jen became worried.
            “I didn’t see us in the pictures. Maybe it’s better to stay and find a way inside the building.”
            Jen turned away. “But… most of the time, these books only tells us what actually happens, not what is the best outcome to these situations. Therefore, I think this book showed us a mistake that we made – leaving the group behind.”
            Nix stayed as his little bird form. “Well, being here right now… I don’t see how things could get better if we waste time running back. We have to think of something. Come on, check the next twenty pages!”
            Jen opened the book again to page 21, “Okay. Let’s see… Well there are us looking at the book. That should be the right path.” She then turned to page 22, “And then the book is now on the floor.”
            “The floor??” Jaime repeated. The students paused.
            A tall, skinny man picked Jen and Jaime up, one each with one grip by the back collar. He had straight, long hair that was banded with a scrunchy. He had a nice mustache too, but let’s not focus on that. Nix bounced out of Jen’s arms and he began floating in the air in surprise.
            “Why was I ordered to do so much work… This is so tiresome,” the man complained. “Eh, two is enough. I’ll get you later, birdie.” He said to Nix as he walked away.
            Nix pounced onto the man’s back but the poor bird was ricochet off of him. “Stop what you’re doing!” He turned himself into a human being. “I order you to stop!”
            “Hey man, nice hair. Guards, take that boy away, and get that book to the master.” He said, still walking away. He finally lowered his voice, “See ya, kid.” The golden guards from behind spotted Phoenix as a human as they started rushing over. “Dear lord, you guys are extremely heavy.” The man said in conclusion.
            “That’s good news!” Jaime said proudly.
            “No it’s not!” Jen blushed as she covered her face in embarrassment.
            One of the guards jumped and hovered over Phoenix. Phoenix turned back into his bird self as he flew away.
            “Get back here!” The guard yelled.
            Nix panicked. “Oh no! I have to tell the others!!”
 ~~~
            Three wolves were in front of the main group this time where Van stood. Many of the townspeople began to run and scream for their lives.
            “Hey wait, does this mean I can have your clothes for free?!” Shirley said to one of the men who left his stall.
            “What do you think you’re doing?!” The fat man said in a whiny, squealing voice. He sounded like he stuffed a bunch of bread in his mouth and still bothered to talk. “You’re messing up this town already and it has only been over an hour.”
            Matt stood in front of Van. “We want to have a talk with Winny. I’m sure you know of her?”
            “Ah, yes. The pretty one who always seems to smile! She’s at a meeting right now. Would you like me to send a message, kid?”
            “(Always? Since when?) Yes. The next time you see them, let them know… that you got beat up by a ‘kid’.” Matt readied his flames.
            Yessenia tapped his shoulder. “Matt, this does not seem like a good place to fight. People are still running.” But in time, the whole area would be empty in a few more seconds. Shirley was still picking out a nice outfit for herself. William dozed off, watching her decide.
            Van whispered, “Let the wolves do the talking. Don’t waste your energy on this fat man.”
            “I don’t need to waste energy.” Matt said with certainty as he ran towards the fat man without listening to anybody’s warnings – not Yessenia’s, not Van’s.
            The fat man called out, “This is the power of the Gluttony Bearer! Take this!” He made himself inflate into a large balloon but you could still see his resemblance. He didn’t totally alienate from his form with a balloon skill.
            “Gluttony?” Alex repeated.
            Matt tricked the Gluttony Bearer by flying upward before he got as close as possible. He shot a small, effortless fireball at the enemy’s hair and he began running in circles, his hair on fire. Matt jumped behind him and gave him a strong kick to the back. The fat man fell forward without being able to make a move. “Th-That speed! Why?!” He cried.
            If Matt had not trained before, he would have crashed into the man’s stomach and fell for whatever attack he was going to do next.
            “Where is Winny?” Matt threatened him with another fireball in his hand.
            “I-In that large building over there!”
            “Figures.” Shirley said after putting on a new outfit. It was a reddish maiden outfit that had a front white padding and white laces off to the side. She also wore a red triangular cap that covered her in shade.
            The group began heading for the largest building up ahead. At this point, Van had to recall her wolves. All of the sudden, their eagerness lost exhaustion from all that walking and they had a bunch of energy to keep going forward now that they knew exactly where to go.
            “I wouldn’t be simple-minded if I were you though!~” the man squealed again. Matt stopped without turning. “You see, our strength pool has a big gap in between each of us. They say I’m the weakest, although I would disagree, but they are far much stronger. And I’m not talking about one stronger than the other, I’m talking about humongous gaps of power! There is also more to that building than you see. Geheheheh!”
            Van pointed at him, “Psch, you don’t scare us!”
            “He scares me.” Alex whispered to her.
            “I-I know, just play along!”
            Matt continued to run ahead and William did the same, knowing what’s most important – heading for that large building.
            “There is also more to that building than you see.” Matt repeated in his mind. What does that mean?
 ~~~
            As the group continued to run, Shirley began laughing. “Ahahah! I know this is supposed to be frightening, but I don’t remember the last time I’ve had this much fun getting in trouble with the friends I care about most!”
            “Are you being serious right now?! We’re in danger and that’s all you can think about?!” Alex began fumbling around while running.
            There was nobody on the street now. The news of infiltrators has spread really quickly, so by now many people were hiding or running towards the opposite end of the town. How far does this town go anyway? Well, the town and the large building is all there is. Of course, there are a few unclaimed lands on the western and eastern portions, but that is because this town is not fully developed yet. Like most books, only the most important places are mentioned and the rest of the world is left obscured. In this book, the rest of the world outside this island is in obscurity.
             After a while, the students came to a stop to rest a little. Everyone was tired of running after reaching the third mile. Nix arrived and he accidentally bounced off of Matt’s shoulder with a boing! sound. A large cloud dust appeared and Nix accidentally transformed into Phoenix.
            Matt turned around. “Hey, watch where you’re going!”
            “Matt! You’re all okay!” Phoenix said, hugging him. “Jen and Jaime were caught by the guards and this creepy man. We have to save them!”
            “That is perfect,” Yessenia said, “we were heading there right now.”
            “And um… there is something I need to mention. The book was taken by the guards and is being sent to their ‘master’, whoever that is!”
            “That doesn’t sound too good. This time we really do need to hurry. No time for rests!” Shirley said as she held her dress up while running as if she was a troubled princess.
            “She’s not very smart for wearing that at a time like this, huh?” Phoenix questioned. Alex and Van only shrugged and William watched in confusion.
 ~~~
            Jen and Jaime were in the large building now. The first room was like a castle. It was about as big as a football field. There were large glass mirrors as high as three to four stories with old Greek mythologies, something Jaime could recall from a long time ago back in Olympia. To the side where the mirrors stood were six doors: three on the left and three on the right. These led to hallways that were typically for royalty.
            Jaime yawned. “Man, don’t you guys get tired of walking this far just to reach those giant chairs?”
            “It’s called a throne!” The tall man said.
            “Lopher! Please, calm yourself.” One man stood in front of the throne. Next to him was a young woman with green hair and light skin. She had a frowning look on her face that Jen could recognize really well.
            “That girl… she’s…” Jen stared at her. Lopher removed Jen’s backpack away from her which made her struggle to fight back. “Wait! That’s my…!”
            “Ah, ah, ah~ You will not be getting this back. My, it’s quite heavy but when I squeeze your backpack, it doesn’t form into a shape of books. What’s inside here?” He asked in a teasing manner. Jen was silent. He unzipped the backpack and then he started shaking it upside-down until the steel, leathered nunchuck fell. Jen watched it, hoping it would react on its own but it fell with a clank! just like any ordinary object made of steel. Jen sighed, knowing that it purposely did nothing as a result of a lack of connection.
            “A weapon?” Said the man on the throne. “Take them to prison down below. I will deal with them later.”
            Jaime watched Jen’s expression. “Hey…” He said quietly, “When I said you had a choice to improve, you decided to take on physical strength?”
            “I needed to protect myself some way. But, I can’t even do that with a weapon…” She began to cry. “It’s… too late for us. I’m useless, again.”
            “Jen…” Jaime said as they were taken to prison.
 ~~~
- Preview to the next episode! -
Matt: On the next episode of Fires of the Sky…
Shirley: The next episode seems like big plot advancement! I can’t wait!
Nix: Sorry for accusing you of betraying us, Van…
Van: Awwww!! You’re such a cute, little bird!!!
Jen: This is not good. We don’t have the book and we can’t read the next fortunes.
Jaime: Things are better unspoiled, right?
Jen: But… I guess…
Matt: We’re finally here. Where is Winny?
Alex: There she i- What is she wearing?!
Shirley: And who the heck is that?!
Matt: We’re taking her back! Next time on episode 270, The Seven-Split Road of Personality!
Winny: Everyone? I…

0 comments:

Post a Comment