Saturday, October 2, 2010

Episode 32: Beauty and Liquid, Two Unlike Combinations!

The appearance of powers has begun. This time, they will have to challenge the theory of Gods from above. From timeless tales of gods and heroes, regular humans can become a basin of control. The puzzle has been created. Without a cell phone, one must find a new way to be able to use their powers for good. Powers must work together to refill the desires from up above. With the help of the newly created power of beauty, the group must support each other even if it is to risk their own life. This stage will not be so simple. The success of this puzzle will lead to either happiness or despair. A death must be made. Will the ancient Gods live in disrupt?

Episode 32 – Beauty and Liquid, Two Unlike Combinations!

 

            The public library… This is a place that many people from El Monte visit in order to check in and check out books. There were children’s books, geographic books, history books, teen books, videos, and more. This library was not large, but it has a variety. It was the time when all students with six periods decide to leave school and roam free until the next morning…
            “Seriously, Mariel, do we need come here today?”
            A girl had a tote bag and she made the boy hold three books, “Yes, of course! I don’t care if these books are totally wrong. We’re returning them and getting new books about the French culture. Trust me, we have to do well on this French CPR report. You don’t want to get a B in a regular class.”
            The boy chuckled. "Ew, CPR."
            The girl said angrily, "No, stupid! Stop joking around. It's the 'Cultural Participation and Research project, stupid! It's like any ordinary research essay - but written in French."
            The boy said unenthusiastically, “Awh… Come onnnnn! And why do I have to hold these? Look at you, you got muscles.” He placed the books on a table as he started poking Mariel’s shoulders.
            Mariel held back, screaming, “Alex! What the hell, don’t poke me like that. It’s all meat.”
            Mariel Tabino and Alex Wang were like best friends. They both went to the same middle school, Madrid. Mariel loved to be fashionable and she made sure her hair was perfect everyday. She has Alex as her butler-like friend who does anything for her even if he did not want to. Alex is rather submissive and he complains about all the things he does for Mariel but he still does it anyway because they are good friends to each other, in a strange way.
            Mariel took the books as she headed for the teen section, “Anyway, go put these two books in that hole at the front counter.”
            Alex pointed at the third book. He asked, “What about that one?” Without showing him the front cover and the side label, Mariel took it and hid it behind her back.
            “Oh this one is a useful French book. I’m going to look for more.” Alex took the two books and he headed for the front counter. Once he looked away, Mariel turned around and took out a few books from the shelf. She took enough books to stuff the book she was already holding, “I have to save this one somewhere. Heh.”
            Alex returned to where Mariel stood. “Hey Mariel, there you are. What happened to the book that you were holding?”
            Mariel shrugged, “Eh, dunno man. I thought it was good but it sucked so I put it in the hole at the front counter.”
            “I didn’t see you while I was walking back here though…”
            “Oh, trying to say I’m short now? That’s insulting.” Mariel rolled her eyes as she began walking away to another section. Some people did insult her height, so she used this excuse to change the subject.
 ~~~
            Another day, similar time… The bell rang and Matt stood up immediately. “Alright! Time to go to the library and find a book fast before the bus comes!”
            ShirleyC grabbed Matt’s hoodie, “Oh my gosh, what are you doing now? You told me the bus doesn’t come until 3:20 and it’s barely 2:46. You have a lot of time.”
            Matt responded to her, “Hey, last time it took me almost an hour to decide a book! When I finished, I ran outside and I saw the bus barely leaving. This time I’m going to make this whole thing right. So see ya!”
            Shirley watched him leave the class, “Hrm, that Matt… why does he always seem to go home as soon as he can after school? It’s like he doesn’t like hanging out with his friends.”
 ~~~
            Matt hurriedly reached the library. He ran up towards the door as he forgot to grab the knob. His whole body crashed flat against the door, sliding down as if he had just been splat like a bug.
            Matt was on the floor, coughing in grief, “Beh… at least I didn’t die.” He stood up and opened the door correctly this time. He quickly headed for the teenage section, “So Jen likes books from here huh?” He noticed a book that he seen before, “Oh, this is what Jen wanted to talk to me about. The front cover looks like there’s a few pirates yet the title talks about ‘Trade’. Last time I checked, pirates steal a lot.” He placed the book back onto the shelf, “Hm, what else?” He took another book off the shelf, “Elsewhere? I should try this one.” At first glance, he could see another book hidden behind other books. “What’s this?” He took the book and read the title, “This book talks about aquatic beings? What kind of books are these?” He took the book with him and he sat down.
            Moments later, two students came into the library. “Eheh, sorry Alex. I just had to come back here today. I forgot something so wait outside.”
            Alex shook his head, “No way! I’m gonna find the books with you now. You chose the most horrible books yesterday and now we’re back here today. You suck.”
            Matt overheard them, “(Geez… they’re causing a ruckus in the library.)”
            Mariel looked around the same bookshelf that Matt looked at, “Huh?”
            “What is it?” Alex asked her.
            “Oh, it’s nothing.” She looked around, wondering what happened to the book, “Do librarians really check that much?” She turned to a table, the same table where Matt is sitting. She noticed a book as she gasped.
            Matt saw her expression from the corner of his eye. He pretended not to notice as he turned to a page. Alex grabbed Mariel on her left shoulder, “M-Mariel, what’s wrong? We should look for books.”
            Mariel stood next to Matt, “Hey you, can I have that book?”
            “Um sure, but I wanted to see what it’s about.”
            Mariel forcefully put her hands closer to the book, “There’s nothing to see about this book. It’s actually mine.”
            Matt flicked her hand away, “But I found it in the bookshelf. How is this book yours? And besides, the way you’re talking like that just makes me want to find out what’s in the book even more.”
            Alex turned to Mariel, “Hey, that sounds like a pretty good point. Mariel, let me see what is in the book too!”
            Mariel slapped him on the arm, “Oh you shut up.” She said to Matt, “Come on, hurry up or else!” She showed Matt her fists.
            Matt noticed her fashionable clothing and make-up. He decided to mock her by covering his face with his hands, “Oh my~ Don’t hurt my pretty face!”
            Mariel clenched her teeth, “WHAT DID YOU SAY?”
            Matt sat patiently, “That’s alright. My mom works here so she could kick you out.”
            Alex responded to Matt, “You think you’re pretty?”
            Matt chuckled, “Heh heh, that was a joke.”
            “Well you’re not pretty.” Alex said.
            Matt gave a blunt grumpy face, “(Psch, even if I AM pretty, he’s just mad.)”
            Mariel grabbed the book, “Give it to me!”
            Matt held back, “No, go away!” He looked at the clock at the front desk, “Oh, 3:18! I’ll be late for the bus – see ya!” He began running out. Mariel was about to follow him but Alex stood in front of her, blocking her way.
            Alex screamed, “Remember, you’re not pretty!”
            Mariel pushed Alex aside, “Move, you’re letting him get away!” She followed him outside but by the time she reached the end of the street, Matt had already gone on the bus. “Argh! I’m sure I have him for some of my classes. I’ll see that bastard tomorrow!”
 ~~~
            On the next day, Matt was moping towards his third period class with the same book in his hand. “That’s no wonder why the alarm didn’t go off in the library. This book isn’t even from the library. That girl just needed a hiding spot for it. This book is so useless. It’s just about life in the ocean.”
            Kalpesh and Stan appeared behind Matt. Kalpesh asked with curiosity, “Hm? What book are you reading?”
            Matt closed the book as quick as he could, “H-Huh? Nothing, really. It’s a crappy book so I’m going to return it to the library.”
            All the sudden, both Kalpesh and Stan had randomly been pushed aside. Behind them was Mariel, who was hard to see at first because of her height. She was clenching her teeth and she seemed to show fury, “Give me that book!”
            She jumped for the book as she pushed Matt to the floor. She grabbed his collar and had her fist in the air. Matt threw the book at her face, “Here, here! Take the darn book!” He forcefully got up, causing Mariel to fall over. “You’re one crazy girl! How can someone with nice make-up be so violent?!”
            Mariel suddenly acted angelic, “Oh my!~ You think so? Hehe, that’s so nice if you. You know, I never judged you badly one bit myself!”
            Alex was nearby. He corrected her, “Actually you started yelling once that Matt guy got on the bus and then you ran back, cursin-…”
            “Oh well the past is the past. I got my book back AND I got a compliment. How can today get any better? Heehee.” She skipped away from the little tyrant group. Matt stared at her skipping away, surprised that her attitude changed so sudden.
            Matt saw Alex just standing there. “Oh hey, you’re that guy from yesterday at the library. I’ve seen you in some of my classes. Alex Wang, right?”
            Alex nodded, “Yeah. And people call you Matt?” Matt shook his head and Alex went on, “Next time though, don’t mess with Mariel. If you mess with her, then you’ll have to try and mess with me.” He tried to give a mean face as he walked away, trying to find Mariel.
            Matt whispered to himself, “Darn… you’re just like Stan.”
            Stan was a few feet away. He asked Matt, “Did you say something?”
            Kalpesh answered for Matt, “Actually, yeah. He said-…”
            Matt ran over to Kalpesh to cover his mouth, “What a liar! Don’t believe this guy. You’re the best friend I could ever have. You even help me on math.”
            “Of course I know THAT’S a lie.” Stan rolled his eyes as he began leaving the area. Matt gave himself a sigh of shame.
 ~~~
            Matt was peacefully walking in the English building. He was getting closer to the stairs and he heard footsteps getting louder and louder. He tilted his head in confusion, wondering what the ruckus is about. Dumbfounded, he only stood there, thinking about it when all the sudden ShirleyC comes crashing down with Matt. Shirley was on the floor now and her knee was scraped. “Ow…! It’s you, Matt. Not again!”
            Matt remembered this is how they first met, only vice versa with each other. Matt scratched his head, “Ehehe… what’s going on?”
            “Did you happen to see this girl named Mariel?”
            “Oh the one with the make-up and the hair products and the bead necklace and the-…”
            “Yeah, yeah, yeah, where is she?!” Shirley grabbed onto Matt’s shoulders, “Tell me!”
            Matt took a step back, Shirley still grabbing onto him. “W-Wait a minute, I didn’t even see her. I haven’t seen her since third period.”
            Shirley opened her cellphone and clicked on Olympia. Matt quickly held onto her.
 ~~~
            “What do you think you’re doing?!” Matt yelled. “You teleported us from where we’re out in the open. People could have seen us and they might still see us when we teleport back.”
            Shirley said in a panic, “Forget that. Let’s go to the lake. Show me the way.” Matt did not know what was going on, but he agreed to do so.
            At the lake, Matt and Shirley saw Mariel struggling with the water. Erica, seen as Eidothea, was trying to grasp for air. She was in the water, not being able to get out. Shirley stood next to Mariel. She focused with her palm and Matt could see Erica finally being able to float. Matt was in grief, “Phew! What’s going on?” He looked at the situation, and then at Mariel.
            Mariel took a step back, “Eep!”
            Shirley ran towards Mariel while Mariel was struggling trying to get her cellphone out of her pocket. Shirley held onto Mariel’s arms to stop her from teleporting out. “I knew I saw something strange!”
            Matt was completely confused now. “Mariel? What… how?”
            Mariel was shaking. She said in fear, “I don’t know what happened. One day I woke up and I felt as if I was sweating from my sleep. It lasted for days and now it’s gone. It scared me for days and days until I could finally make water appear. I can control water but the water in this lake was too heavy for me to pull.”
            Eidothea was on the floor right on the shore. Matt ran up to help her. Shirley said, “So you have the power to control water? So you’re the next stage…”
            Eidothea bowed to Shirley and Mariel, “Thank you to the both of you for saving me. I owe you my life!”
            Matt looked away, “Talking like that is so weird, Erica…” Erica giggled.
            Mariel said to the three of them, “I am not good with my powers and I been having a hard time focusing in school. Olympia suddenly showed up on my phone and I clicked it. Tethys, the ancient Goddess told me about the whole situation about Eidothea so I decided to help. So please, just PLEASE don’t tell anyone about my powers! Especially Alex! I don’t want him to get involved with all this. It’s too dangerous.”
         Matt was looking at Mariel’s frightful expression. This is Mariel… a girl with a lot of background in her and there was still so much to learn about her…
~~~
---- Next chapter preview:

Matt: On the next chapter, I will make a promise!
Erica: It's an unthinkable promise, Matt. You must carefully choose what you are promising.
Matt: I-I know. You don't have to tell me. Next chapter, Promises are Meant to be Promises!

0 comments:

Post a Comment