Saturday, September 21, 2013

Episode 263 - An Ambience of Burden, Unidentified Mentality

Recently on Fires of the sky, the main group who had participated in the Elemental Challenges has finally returned to Arkon’s Magic! But… to the rest of the students’ surprise, several students have not appeared in the group, and they knew that something tragic must have happened to them all. As a vow, Matt decides it is best for them to do their own thing, because messing around all throughout the first two years did nothing but cause them to lose more friends in a very traumatic way. One thing to note now is that… after 365 days, things have changed. Almost every student had to separate and disconnect with each other due to self-anger and terrible memories of the first two years. We will have to see what is up by reading onward to Fires of the Sky – Junior Year!
Episode 263 – An Ambience of Burden, Unidentified Mentality

            As the ‘demon lord’ began to fly closer to the main village, the villagers began to scream and panic for their safety. The crowd began to run in a bunch much like a bee’s chase at a hawk view. The echoed voice of the demon lord rang louder to scare off the villagers and take over the acres of land. He was stopped by a mysterious woman with green and light armor.
            “The Mistress of the Winds?!” He gulped. “You shall not intervene with my tactics!”
            The young teenager placed both her legs away from each other of about two feet. She focused with her arms crossing each other like an X as wind began to vapor in front of her. You can almost imagine as if she was being blown by a large air conditioning vent from behind. The aura surrounding her became a Wind Enchantment that increased her element strength as she began to run towards the ‘demon lord’. She immediately made her body spin in a vertical, but forward-moving position towards the demon. She called this the ‘Viral Tempest’ that was much more threatening than her usual Tempest skill.
            The demon was slashed in the face and he was slowly vanishing in green aura, much like how digicells would disperse. She then stabbed the ground with her long sword and she drained some of the energy from her own sword, creating another light humanoid beside her. “Zephyr!” she called.
            The teenager, without having to make the effort of moving, had the Zephyr take her place and finish the rest of the demon as it completely disappeared. The villagers from were intimidated by the spirit beside the teenager, but they knew she only arrived to save them. With this, they began to cheer for her.
            “You said your name is Yessenia, yes?” an old woman said, holding two sticks of French bread with about three feet in length. “I know this may not be much of a reward, but please, this is all I can give.”
            Yessenia smiled at them. “You need to keep them for the sake of your children. I bid you and every villager a safe farewell,” and then she remembered the ending of the book, “and it would be a pleasure to be called The Mistress of the Winds.”
            “Oh, oh thank you, mistress! I will certainly keep to your words!” She blushed as she walked away, still holding her bread proudly after listening to the kind teenager.
            After a few celebrations, Yessenia decided it was time to go home. “That marks about the 65th map completion,” she told herself. “I guess I should take a break for today.”
~~~
            Even for early October, the weather seemed hot and humid. With the atmosphere today, you wouldn’t expect much from a city filled with factories. Stan sat under the canopy near the cafeteria, where the group usually sat during freshman year. Remember back when Matt and Jen had to switch lunch periods? Now in the year 2009, the school had completed their campus construction and there is more room for students to sit and hang out during lunch. As a result, two lunch periods were bunched into one.
            Most students loved the idea, now that they get to hang out with those who had always been put in separate lunch periods like Matt and Jen. Some others, not so much. They would argue everyday about the terrible lunch lines. A few cut, a few others push. It was never pleasant for those who had disadvantages. Jen was constantly being pushed around as she saw a bunch of boys in baggy pants and ripped-up shirts cut through with girls in simple tank tops. Their straps were an inch shorter than the dress code. They wore booty shorts that showed extra cellulite from their back thighs which Jen squinted on.
            Lisa had suddenly reached the front of the line, and since then had they slowly, and unintentionally split apart from each other. Jen frowned, thinking that even Lisa was more aggressive to stay on her guard and not be pushed around by the bad students.
            Suddenly, a hand from behind grabbed onto her left arm as she was being dragged away. “S-Stan?!” she murmured.
            “We need to talk.”
            “About what? I didn’t get my food yet.”
            “I already got mine. You can have it,” he said as he dragged her over to the canopy.
            Jen was reminded those rare moments when students were thrown into one lunch period. During her freshman year, the ‘two lunch period’ rule had been for every day, except about two days on finals’ week when it was mashed into one lunch period. She remembered this rare day because every student finally got to bond with each other without any boundaries.
            She looked at the fourth table, seeing a silhouette of Matt, Santi, Jennifer, and the rest of Jennifer’s group talking to them. Oh yeah, Danny was also there. She could catch a glimpse of Matt’s smile which struck her.
            “Jen, are you listening to me?”
            “Oh, yeah,” she said slowly as Stan handed her a carton of chocolate milk. It usually tasted like strawberry milk, actually. The school doesn’t really regulate much on their meals in school.
            “Anyway, I wanted to talk to you about what happened in the dragon novel that you read.”
            “Oh that! I’m sorry. I must have read the ending’s prophecy wrong…”
            “No, don’t worry about that. I had a talk with Matt about it, and I think he’s right.”
            “What do you mean?”
            Stan cowered a little. He was not proud about what he was going to tell her, but he felt as if it was the right thing to say.
            “Well I… I mean, it’s dangerous to bring you around with me all the time.”
            Jen blushed more from sadness rather than his caring side. “Stan, I-…”
            “It’s just that every time I bring you around, I worry that you’ll get hurt. I bring you so that we can work together and become less afraid of things, but I don’t even know if it’s worth anything at this point. What are we protecting ourselves from?”
            Jen knew exactly where that last question came from. She had an extreme certainty that the question could be Matt’s type of question.
            She placed the chocolate-strawberry milk onto the blue, patterned table. “I’m a burden to you, aren’t I?”
            “What? No! It’s not like that at all.”
            “You think I can’t fight.”
            “Like I said, it’s not that. You are useful and strong, Jen. You are able to read those novels and ending prophecies. I ask you for help because you’re the only one who can actually read them.”
            Jen thought about it carefully. She knew he was right as even Yessenia had sometimes gone to her for support on the ending prophecies of each novel that she had read.
            “Why me?” Jen questioned. “Why am I the only one who is able to read these ending prophecies? Actually, I don’t even predict them properly. Remember what happened with the last novel we went into? We were almost killed by dragons because I read the prophecy wrong. I assumed you were the one to save me, but it was… him.”
            Stan stood up. “It’s okay, Jen… I decided to stop fighting.”
            Jen’s heart skipped a beat. She never expected that Stan would end his vows to keep getting stronger. He loved to fight, improve, and beat others if they happened to go against him. It was a surprise to see that Stan had finally taken a break from all of this after a whole year.
            It was suddenly getting windy. In Jen’s ears and point of view, everything was suddenly getting quiet. Stan felt it too. He waited for her response as the wind continued to push as if the two of them were in a dramatic sequence.
            Just kidding. Yessenia walked out of the bushes behind them as she said, “Sorry to interrupt. Thanks, Jen. The prophecy came true.” She handed the mistress novel back to Jen as the wind disappeared. All drama had washed off.
            Jen smiled. “Oh my, really?!” She felt proud of herself.
            “Yeah. Everything went smoothly as you said.”
            Jen looked at Stan. “I don’t always get prophecies right though…”
            Yessenia patted her on the shoulders toughly. “Do not worry. With enough practice, you will perfect it. Like physical strength, you will increase in mental strength.”
            “Oh, like a magician!” Stan interrupted.
            Jen rolled her eyes. “This is no time for your gaming analogies.”
            “Er, my bad. But still, I’m going to take a break. I think you should too, Jen. It’s risky for us to continue messing around with these books.”
            Jen sat down next to him as Yessenia walked off. “Okay…” In an awkward silence, she eyed the carrots. “So can I have some?”
~~~
            With the new construction, a larger library was made. There were several large 60-inch television screens hanging near the ceiling pillars, probably around six of them. Books were stacked in a huge circle with a large reception desk sitting in the middle. To the side of this was a connected building for snack sales and school supplies. Well, there was a secret, small door in between that students would walk in and out of. This was the activities office.
            The activities office is used mostly to plan out events for the school and is run by the director along with many of the most outgoing and dedicated students who lean more for school spirit.
            “Alright, we got our plans set out, yes?” The director said as he held onto a clipboard.
            Shirley shook her head as she sat down on the floor. Many students had already taken a proper chair before she was able to enter. Her hair was long enough to run down to the ground as one student passed by and slipped over it.
            Shirley turned to Winny, “Told you I washed it well enough to make it silky and soft enough for someone to fall over.”
            “What are the odds…” Winny said quietly.
            “Okay who the hell is that kid over there?” The director pointed to the other side of Shirley.
            Alex suddenly pulled the sweater that was covered over his head. “Okay, I confess! She made me come here!” Alex began to cry.
            Shirley stood up quickly with her long hair slapping against Alex’s face and mouth. “Director, I have great plans for the rally coming up tomorrow.”
            “Oh, you do? Let me hear it.”
            “Well, you know how September is always hot and annoying?”
            “It’s October,” Alex corrected her.
            “Same thing, idiot.”
            “Language,” the director interrupted her.
            “Yeah, yeah. So what I was saying was that maybe we should have a water balloon fight as one of the activities. Maybe that will keep school spirits up.”
            The director slammed his clipboard onto the table. “What the hell kind of idea is that? Do you know why it was banned for several years?”
            Let’s explain where this director came from, as he seemed to appear only now instead of back in freshman year. In the first two years of high school, the directors and administration was perfect and calm. The principal was liked by many, and even the activities director was loved. She used to make the perfect plans for events.
However, as junior year began, the whole district of El Monte thought it was a great idea to make rotations. This meant that administrators from other schools will take over El Monte while El Monte’s original administrators will have to rotate to another school like Rosemead, or whatever. Now, El Monte has an overly ecstatic, sarcastic, and vulgar activities director that every student is afraid of. Well, except for Shirley who never really cared.
            The director continued. “Students would target certain others and it was labeled as bullying. I can’t let that shit happen again.”
            Shirley shrugged. “Let me guess, a bunch of students decided to throw water balloons at you in the other school?”
            “That’s only for me to know, you demonic child! Any other ideas?”
            Shirley whispered to Alex, “I guess you’re useless now. Go away before he gets mad.”
            Alex rolled his eyes. “I had to postpone a quiz because of you?”
            “Hey, these meetings are always during period two. I had no choice.”
            “But what about the ‘disasters’?”
            Shirley suddenly became serious. “If you see it happening again… make sure to call me immediately. I’m certain they will come to screw things over and this time we have to figure out who it is that is causing all of this.”
            Only Winny bothered to listen to them.
            Alex shook his head. “Okay, but you know, some of our friends like Joey and Maggie are starting to blame elemental power users like Matt for the forest fires. If these natural disasters keep happening, then-…”
            Shirley hissed at him. “Sh! We’ll talk about this later.”
            “Ugh, fine. I’ll just go take my quiz now.”
            As Alex was walking away, the director called out, “What the hell is that kid still doing here? He’s not even a member. Get out!” He then threw the clipboard at Alex as he stormed off.
            “You could at least give me two seconds!!”
            Shirley watched him leave the room as fast as he could. She thought to herself, “What could go wrong during the rally?”
~~~
- Preview to the next episode! -
Matt: On the next episode of Fires of the Sky…
Jen: Shirley said there is going to be a rally, right?
Lisa: Of course! It’s to honor those in the Top GPA.
Jaime: And sports.
Jen: Yay! I’m both in sports and in the Top GPA!
Lisa: …Hooray… sports.
Jen: What’s wrong, Lisa? You don’t like sports?
Lisa: I mean I used to like running and all, but this rally is so one-sided. These dumb people only care about sports and not academics.
Jaime: That’s true, but a rally is usually for sports, so we should be happy that the Top GPA is even up in recognition.
Lisa: Then we should have our own event on the Top GPA!
Matt: Ugh, another stupid upbeat rally… Next time on episode 264, A Rally Filled with Predetermined Calamity!
Van: There is something off about this rally…
Maggie: Like what? Something dangerous maybe?

0 comments:

Post a Comment