Saturday, July 16, 2011

Episode 95: The Darkest Night in the Burden World

The final world has finally opened up. The world of Edmund is gray and gloomy as ever. Memory losses have become an issue, but death is a more important factor to take note of. Each power wielder now has to face the truth as to why they are who they are. Are some born different? Many people would want to show their worth to the world while one may claim that saving the world is the most important ordeal to go through. Many students will show their impact and reason through existence, past, and of course, Rena’s storytelling. Of course, she has lots to tell but there is little time left. What will the group decide to do next in the world of Edmund…?

Episode 95 - The Darkest Night in the Burden World

            “Why are we even hanging out here? It’s so boring!” Matt yelped.
            “Do you want to go on an adventure? That is too bad.” Yessenia joked. “You are only bored because all of the badminton racquets are taken right now. We should just wait awhile until people decide to leave.”
            “Wait? We only have a few minutes before our hour is up. Some school basketball game against Rosemead High School is going to start after.” Matt complained.
            “I never understand you. If you want to have fun, you should just go to the other worlds.”
            “All we got are Arkon’s Magic and Edmund. Right now, Edmund’s pretty dangerous for us. I want some normal fun for once and badminton is my chance. I don’t care if we didn’t get in. I just wanted to play.”
            Shirley made a surprised scream. “Ahhh!”
            Matt quickly stood up, “What happened?!”
            Yessenia gave a bored expression. She only pointed at Shirley, “A birdie.”
            A few birdies had attacked Shirley. “That was it?” Matt became disappointed.
            Shirley was playing against Sharon and Huy on a two-on-one match. Shirley yelled at Huy, “Huy! Damn you. Why did you do that?!”
            “Why are you just yelling at me?!” Huy got angry.
            Sharon giggled. “Look what you did, Huy. Shirley got mad.”
            Shirley clenched her fists, “This time I won’t go easy on you.” She took a birdie and she quickly hit Huy before Huy could run away, “Take this, damn you!” Huy was hit on the face. “HEE HAHA! HEEEEE HAAA HA!”
            “She’s kinda crazy…” Matt took a step back from fear.
            “No kidding on that.” Yessenia agreed. The two of them continued to watch Shirley play badminton. Matt seemed to fall asleep.
 ~~~
            In Arkon’s Magic, Mariel and Danny appeared nearby Rena who was cleaning Shirley’s house. The ices were more sparkly than ever. Rena was startled when Mariel quickly started a conversation. “Rena!”
            “Huh? M-Mariel, you scared me.”
            “I’m sorry. Hey um, do you know more about Edmund? Why is it raining all the time and why does it seem like a sad place to be in?”
            “That is the fate of El Monte. After many years, the sky has rained more often.”
            “Then why isn’t global warming happening?”
            “Global warming?” Rena repeated.
            Mariel had her hands on her hips now to indicate that she was frustrate due to the fact that nobody is taking this issue seriously. “Come with us to Edmund. You can show us around, right?”
            “Well, I can sense an evil force in there. I know that the Diablo and Stan are within that world. It is dangerous for us to be roaming around there at the moment.” Rena took a step away from Mariel.
            “But then they’ll always be in Edmund anyway. What other time is any different?” Mariel complained.
            Danny tried to calm her down. “Mariel, please be patient.”
            “What, and let those two do something? Who knows what can happen to Edmund with an evil thing like the Diablo along with Stan who tried to kill his own best friend?!”
            “Former best friend.” Danny corrected her.
            “So Rena, can you help us? Will you go to Edmund with us right now?”
            Rena had to think carefully. One little mistake at this point would change so much. She realized that Mariel did have a point. Even if it is dangerous for her to enter Edmund at the moment, the condition would still become even worse. “Okay. I will go there now, but we need to alert the others.”
            Mariel giggled, “No way, now’s my chance to shine. Besides, people like Matt won’t be able to survive the rain.”
            “How could you say that? Edmund is in grave danger and you are only thinking of fame?”
            “No… it’s nothing like that. I’ve been useless for quite awhile now. If you think about it, what use have I done for everybody other than get in the way? In Olympia, I had a minor part to take care of. In Echoville, I tied with Levi and she was barely rank eleven. As for the Forest of Emille, everybody solved mysteries together and I didn’t do much. Edmund is the perfect chance for me. If everybody comes along with me to save Edmund, I’ll still seem like a burden to them yet again.”
            Danny was silent. He did not know what to say after listening to Mariel’s determination. Rena sighed, “If you say so. But just this once, you have this chance. Any more dangers and I will call this idea off, do you understand?”
            “Loud and clear!” Mariel said excitedly.
 ~~~
            It was hours later in El Monte after Matt fell asleep. The top area was slightly different compared to earlier. Matt took a look around to notice something strange. Nobody was around him. Matt scratched his head, “What happened?” A young girl and a young boy came closer to Matt. Matt took sight of them. “It’s Amy Tu and Tommy Luc from my old school.”
            Amy skipped her way to Matt, “Hey, remember me?!”
            “Which Amy are you, the innocent one I’ve barely met or the Amy from nine years ago?” Matt joked.
            Amy placed her hands on her hips, “Oh how mean, Matt! We’re childhood friends.”
            Matt chuckled, “Yeah. What are you doing here anyway?”
            Amy stood next to Tommy, “He came from Rosemead to visit. Remember him?”
            Matt nodded, “Of course I remember!” He spoke to Tommy, “We’ve been friends since the fifth grade all the way up to eighth grade.”
            “Yeah, I’ve seen you around since third grade but we didn’t talk to each other until two years later. How is it here in El Monte?”
            Amy spoke for Matt, “It’s awesome! Right Matt?”
            Matt agreed, “I guess. I didn’t like it at first.”
            “Just like two years ago in the seventh grade, huh.” Tommy and Matt began to reminisce about their parallel conversation in the past.
 ~~~
            Matt sat down in silence in Columbia Middle School on the very first day. He saw everybody laughing with each other and Matt was too shy to say anything to others. Tommy sat down with him, “How is this school so far?”
            Matt said at minimal, “I don’t know. Scary, I guess. Everybody looks old.”
            “Really? Me too! I don’t like it here. I’m kinda scared of people too. It’s boring here.”
            “Just two more years and we go to a scarier school.” Matt was not looking forward to the future.
            “Yep. But we can help each other for the next six years.”
            “And that’s a promise!”
            “Yeah, it’s a promise!” Tommy exclaimed.
 ~~~
            Almost two years later when Matt and Tommy were graduating from middle school, Tommy was frowning at the swinging set. Matt sat down next to him, “This is the same spot from when we first talked about this school.”
            “I know. Why are you still here?” Tommy wondered.
            “The same reason as you. I don’t want to say goodbye to this school yet. I love it here even if it is a little ghetto.”
            Tommy stood up, “Well…”
            “Huh?”
            “I have to tell you something.” Tommy said with a serious tone.
            Matt’s stomach was tightening from worrisome thoughts, “What is it…?”
            “I’m going to Rosemead High School next year after all.”
            “I thought we agreed to go to high school together? El Monte is just a next step away!”
            “I know. I asked my sister if I could transfer to El Monte but she didn’t let me. This is kind of like a family tradition. I follow them.”
            Matt got angry, “Fine. But I can promise to you that El Monte is more fun and that it is better!”
            “I don’t care.” Tommy tried to make a joke out of Matt’s seriousness. “We’ll see which school is better.”
 ~~~
            “I remember that.” Matt chuckled.
            “So, do you still think this school is better than mine? Rosemead is pretty awesome.” Tommy seemed certain about his enjoyment. Matt remembered some of the negative things that happened to himself throughout his school year.
            Matt began to lie. “Well, my school year was awesome too. I made lots of friends.”
            Tommy took a look around, “Looks like you’re the only one here.”
            Matt clenched his fists, “They just mysteriously disappeared! Why are you two up here, because you guys miss me then?”
            Amy giggled and Tommy pointed at the area downstairs, “I came to see my school kick your butt. Look.”
            “What?” Matt stood up and he walked towards the front where the basketball game was played. Matt watched the school, “Home is 24 and Guest is 37.”
            “We just made a three-pointer. You scared that we’re going to cream you?”
            Matt looked at the time, “We got lots of time left to catch up.” Matt turned around and he said in confusion, “Still though, why did everybody disappear?”
            Jen arrived at the top of the steps, “Matt, some strange friends of yours told me on the way up here that they wanted to say that they were just going home but you were busy sleeping. They didn’t want to wake you up.”
            Tommy screamed, “Jen!! Remember me?”
            Jen slowly turned to him, “Huh?”
            Matt ran in front of Jen, “UH-Uh, we have no time for reunions. Hey Jen, I need to talk to you.” Matt dragged her away.
            Amy shrugged, “Eh, I guess we’ll go watch the basketball game together then, Tommy.” Tommy decided to go back downstairs to sit with Amy.
            Matt said to Jen alone, “That guy’s name is Tommy. You’ve seen him often from the past few years. Pretend that you remember him.”
            “Why should I do what you ask for?”
            “Jen, I’m serious. Tommy might find out that your memory was lost so it could be dangerous for you to show that you forgot your memory. The other girl is Amy.”
            “I know. I see her around. But I’m serious too, Matt. You only talk to me for help, don’t you? You have better friends to depend on.” Jen kicked the wooden floor in shame, “I can’t believe a best friend would do that.”
            Matt gasped, “I can’t believe what you’re saying! Jen, please understand. You’re still my best friend. It’s just that we don’t have classes with each other. Who even gave you such an idea anyway?” Matt suddenly remembered Stan, “No way… What did Stan tell you?”
            “Stan? He told me nothing.”
            “Did he tell you not to mention him saying things too or what?”
            “No… What he was saying is true. I don’t see you often, yet the first time I remember seeing you was when you already stopped talking to me often.”
            “I have lots of things to worry about. I don’t want you to be a part of it.” Matt tried to reason with Jen but she could not believe him.
            Jen began walking away, “Stan was right. You’re just some weakling after all. I can’t believe we were best friends according to you. I’m sorry.” She headed for the steps leading downstairs.
            Matt was shaking, “Stan… why are you doing this to me?”
 ~~~
            In Edmund, Mariel appeared near the park, “Wow! Back from where we disappeared from, right Danny?”
            Rena was shivering fearfully. Danny turned to Rena, “Are you okay?”
            Rena said softly, “I will be fine. The essence of the Diablo and Stan are getting stronger. They are watching us.”
            Mariel became serious quickly. “Really? That’s a little creepy… Could they hear us?”
            “No but they can try to guess what we are talking about. If they see us doing any funny business, they can kill us in an instant. They are that strong.”
            “Oh yeah? Why don’t we fight them now!” Mariel clenched her fists. She was ready to fight. She looked up into the sky, “Come on guys, let’s fight!”
            Danny covered her mouth, “Sh! Be quiet! What if you don’t stand a chance against them?”
            “You don’t!” Rena added on.
            Mariel laughed, “Gahahah! Well, it’s not bad to try. My water powers can be useful at some points too. They aren’t Gods.”
            “They might as well be.” Rena interrupted. “I am only here to introduce you to the issue that we have here in Edmund. And, don’t do anything ridiculous or else they will come and attack you.”
            Mariel frowned. “Awh, fine…”
            The group of three were entering El Monte. “So, you two wanted to know about the Freezing Impact, right?”
            “Yeah, what is that? It’s very interesting to see that the world’s condition is the complete opposite 600 years after global warming.” Mariel randomly stepped into the mud puddles as they were no problem to her. It would slide right off her due to her water powers. Danny, on the other hand, had to avoid them constantly.
            “Well,” Rena began, “A very long time ago, the moon had erupted and the Earth had shifted into a world of extreme coldness. We lived in the dark for far too long but there was nothing we could do about it. Often times, we are able to survive through the troubling atmosphere and we are able to make it through. Because of the Diablo, the idea of a ‘ruling leader’ became no more. Everybody had to obey him.”
            “That’s so weird. Since when did our moon explode?”
            Danny took a look at the sky, “Have you guys noticed that it is barely the afternoon and the sky is a bit dark?”
            Mariel became amazed. “Whoa, you’re right. All of the clouds are really gray and you can see the moon even at this time of day.”
         Rena nodded, “This is our world, Edmund, or what we call, The Burden World.”
~~~  
---- Next chapter preview:

Matt: Next week on episode 96, restaurant time! Actually it seems more like guilt time. Venus, what are you doing?!
Venus: I-I don't know! AHH!
Alex: I wonder what's going on...
Mariel: Winny, tell me what's going on! Why is the trailer area all messed up here in the future? While... the rest of the school looks the same.
Winny: Well... the truth is...
Shirley: Cheer up stupid!
Matt: This episode leads to more tedious development but all comes down with the truth of Edmund, at least some of it. Next time on episode 96, Stolen Signs and Winny's Words of 2608!
Winny: Edmund is...


0 comments:

Post a Comment