Episode 55 – Let the Track Meets Begin!
The world is quiet for once. The sound of freeways does not linger during the night at all. Most buildings, as usual, still had their lights on. The emptiness sound had been the best resort of peace. “Burn away into pieces of debris.” A mysterious voice was heard. A single building suddenly exploded as if a bomb had just been activated. “Hehehe.”
~~~
“Track meet, track meet, track meet! Oh how I can’t wait to see you fail so badly in your meter dashes, Jaime!” said Venus. The track meet is going to be on the next day. Everyone was already psyched to go.
Shirley was enjoying her teases against Jaime. Jaime scratched his head, wondering if she knew what she was saying. “I’m not even doing the meter dashes… I’m doing the long jump, stupid.”
“Oh.” Shirley said blankly. “Still, you have to run right before the jump in order to jump far.”
Jaime crossed his arms, “Whatever. I’m still going to get first place.”
Venus and Matt were nearby. Venus raised a finger up, “Nuh uh uh, you’re not that fast, are you? I’m going to watch the game mainly for another friend!”
Shirley held onto Venus’s arm, “I don’t know you that much but oh my gosh we have the same views!”
They both began cheering, “Jaime sucks, Jaime sucks, woo woo!”
Matt listened in on their conversation, “Huh? Really?”
Jaime became guilty, “D-Don’t believe them! And even if I do suck, I’m still a freshman in sports. You guys are not even in these manly sports. Shirley, you’re in badminton and Venus, you’re not in any sport at all!”
Matt chuckled a little. “(They are funny people.)”
Shirley tilted her head for Venus, “Wait a minute, you said you’re going because someone else is in it. Who were you talking about?”
Venus laughed, “Ohoho, you guys don’t know? My friend is Winny Guan. She’s amazingly strong and she’s in shot put!”
Matt scratched his head, “(Winny Guan? Who? Is she buff like a guy for being in shot put?)”
Jaime gripped both his hands together and then he cracked most of his knuckles, “I could beat her at the shot put if I wanted.”
“What’s wrong with you and competition? She’s just a girl!”
“A manly girl.” Jaime joked.
Matt shivered with goose bumps, “Uhhh… Scary.”
~~~
Matt became bored since none of those three friends were close enough to Matt to talk to him as if they were best friends. He decided to go into Arkon’s Magic to look at his fire home. He thought of what Yessenia told him about not hiding in these worlds often. It’s a bad habit. He turned around from his house to find another house. “Whoa, what is that?” There was a big clock on top of a new house. Matt said to himself, “It looks like the Big Ben in London.” He saw Santi leave the house.
Matt called for him, “Hey, Santi!”
Santi was amazed to finally see Matt again. “Long time no talk, Matt. How have you been?”
“Great. Never mind that though. Where did you get your house?”
“Uh, it just appeared. Heh.”
Matt noticed that Santi was feeling a bit nervous. “Are you okay, Santi?”
Santi shook his head, “Of course I am. I haven’t felt any worse. I have just been a bit busy lately.”
“With what?”
“Personal issues. Anyway, there is a track meet today and I have to watch for a friend. She’s going to do shot putting.”
“Is this that Winny Guan girl again?” Matt began to wonder why everyone wants to watch her.
“Ah, yes. Who told you about that?” Santi became curious.
Matt remembered that it was Venus who talked about Winny first. “Venus. I think.”
“Hm. I see. Hey Santi, I have lots to tell you about! Remember when I had my flaming chicken? Uh, well how should I say this… It’s kind of… not alive…”
“That is a shame.” Santi said carelessly.
Matt turned away. “(He doesn’t care, I see…)” Matt faced Santi and smiled, “Well then! Um, I want to get stronger. I don’t know how or when I can do it but I just need to find something that can help me.”
“Something?” Santi became nervous.
Matt pointed at Santi, “Hey, stop trying to hide things! This is the first time I’ve seen you nervous. What happened over the time when we haven’t talked?”
Santi suddenly smiled, “Fine. I guess I will help you… heh. We will practice here in Arkon’s Magic. I will use my time powers to stop you if you end up messing up and accidentally injuring yourself.”
Matt jumped in happiness, “Yes! Finally, some practice! A-Alright then… Here goes.” He took out his fire stone and Santi examined him closely. Matt threw a fireball and Santi stopped it.
Santi began to explain the situation, “Look, you are fighting very directly. You made sure I was watching you. If I was your enemy, you would not want me to wait and watch you directly on what you are going to do or else I would retaliate with something like this.”
Matt clenched his fists, “W-Wait a minute! But every person or digicells are different. You’re just with time powers. What if I fight someone with different powers?”
Santi took a step back, “Whoa, take it slowly, Matt. That comes later. What you need is patience. There are many more different kinds of people with powers and digicells with just about anything, so of course I am just one minor person to think about. Do not worry, I will help you learn how to fight against as many different types as I can. Let’s practice for a few more minutes, shall we?”
~~~
As the next day followed, sixth period was ending. Matt, Santi, Shirley, Danny, Yessenia, Mariel, Alex, and Venus were in their English classroom together. Venus threw her fist up into the air, “Yeah! Time to watch the track meet!”
Santi turned to Matt, “Do you want to go? Everyone here is already ready.”
Matt looked away, “M-Me?”
Mariel took out a piece of paper, “It starts already? This paper here says that track meets start at like 4PM.”
“(You want me to stay in school and wait? Ugh.)” Matt was feeling half dead from his practice on fire powers with Santi.
ShirleyC screamed, “Boba! Let’s get boba in the meantime!!”
Yessenia gave a kind smile, “That sounds like fun.”
“Boba?” Matt asked stupidly. “Is it that black ball stuff in some of the drinks?”
Alex laughed at him, “Haha! You don’t know what it is?” Matt gave him an evil glare.
Shirley grabbed Matt’s arm, “Let’s go, Matt. We can show you.”
“I was just making sure- Ah, don’t pull my arm like that!” They both ran out together and Yessenia, Mariel, Alex and Venus followed along.
Danny was going to walk but he noticed that Santi was still behind. “You don’t want to go with us?”
Santi began walking. He closed his eyes along with giving a smile, “Hm, of course I will.” Santi left the classroom and Danny was confused about what just happened.
~~~
All of the eight students were walking down the road of Concert Street. At the corner, they turned and crossed two more streets to get to a small plaza. Shirley screamed out loud, “ECUP! Here I come!”
Matt was confused. “I thought we were going for boba?”
Shirley grabbed Matt’s arm again and rushed him inside the building, “It is, silly!”
Everyone began to buy their own drink. Matt took out his money, “I’ve been saving a lot for no reason. What should I get?”
The majority got Thai Tea Boba and Boba Milk Tea, except Santi. He got the Strawberry Slush with boba. Everyone watched him drink the strange slush. Matt found it normal only because he had never entered Ecup to order drinks. “I will get Thai Tea Boba then. It looks good because it is orange.” Matt said while watching Mariel take a sip.
They all had fun talking to each other. Each and every one of them laughed at some point. In Matt’s mind, he wondered if this is how they act after school every time. Matt never really thought about going out with friends. In his past, he only had Stan and Kalpesh as main guy friends to hang out with. He never hung out with girls because genders were segregated. Now, everyone seemed to be in one big happy family. Matt began to smile and laugh together with them, realizing that going out with friends is the best thing he can experience, so far.
~~~
By the time it was about 3:50PM, all of the students went back into school to get to the football field bleachers. The field is where the track meet takes place. Once all of them got on the bleachers, Matt was the only one sitting in the back. He was watching Santi and Venus talking to each other. “(They seem like close friends.)”
Venus turned around, “Hey, you’re lonely! Come sit with us. In the middle, if you want.”
Matt scratched his head. He never had friends that were so careful with him before. “The middle? Why?”
Santi turned around as well, “You do not want to be left alone, do you?”
Matt chuckled, “Ehe, I’m okay back here. Don’t worry.” Venus was concerned about him, but she turned forward again anyway.
Moments later, Venus pointed at a girl in the back, “Is that Winny?! She looks like a hot scene guy that you would see in a typical movie!”
Yessenia laughed, “She looks like a man with that hair.”
Matt tried to find her. Once he spotted a girl throwing a shot put ball really far, he realized that the person must be Winny. “Wow, she’s really strong. She didn’t look strong but how was she able to do that?”
Shirley pointed at Jaime, “I see Jaime running! His hair is so ugly!”
Danny exclaimed, “It’s flying everywhere!”
On and on, this continued for over an hour. By 5:15PM, Mariel mentioned that the track meet was coming to an end. Matt checked his watch and he stood up, “It’s getting late.”
“It is?” Venus questioned him.
Shirley grabbed Matt’s leg, “Why are you leaving so early? It usually goes over time anyway.”
Matt shook her away, “M-My bus is at 5:20PM. I’ll hang out with you guys again next time. I don’t want to scare my mom about not coming home early.”
Alex rolled his eyes, “Oh my god, it’s not even late.”
“Just call her.” Yessenia suggested.
Matt stood up, “I’m going to go now. Bye guys, it’s been REALLY fun! I never really had the chance to go out like this before with my other friends.” Santi and Shirley clearly remembered what Matt told them about his deprived past while walking through the underworld in Olympia. “We should all hang out again next time.”
“There’s always next Thursday’s track meet.” Santi suggested.
Matt became happy, “Awesome! Thank you guys. I’ve never had this much fun before. Anyways, see you guys later!” They all said goodbye as Matt was going down the bleachers.
~~~
As Matt was heading out through the gates next to the Tennis courts, Matt could see Winny heading out. She was walking towards the water fountain in front of him. Matt waved, “Hi, you! Winny, right?” Matt never really triggered a conversation first but he felt that Winny was a kind and interesting person.
Winny stopped and turned to him, “Oh, yeah I’m Winny. Hi Matt! That’s your name right?” She gave a very kind smile.
“What are you doing here? Don’t you have the track meet to go to?”
“Yeah, I’m just taking a break for now.”
“Oh, I see. Well then, I’m going to walk to the bus stop. See you later!” Matt began to wave as he was walking away.
Winny was facing down. Her eyes were not shown because her bangs covered them. Matt did not notice this as he continued walking towards the gate. All the sudden, he could hear her say, “Fire powers, heh. What a joke it seems to me.”
Matt turned around, “Huh?” He became confused. “Did you say something?” He started to notice that he could not see Winny’s face.
Winny began to show her face. She pointed at Matt, “You. Don’t pretend.” Her voice was completely different. Her face was more serious and Matt took a step back with even more confusion.
Matt began to sweat. He smiled, “Ehe… what are you talking about, Winny? What fire powers?”
Winny gave an evil grin, “Aw, look how nervous you are. Are you scared already? I only mentioned about the fire powers that you have.”
Matt opened his eyes wide. “(W-What the…? How does she know?!)”
Winny crossed her arms and she laughed strangely. “Hm-hm-hm, don’t think I’m just some happy little girl. You better watch yourself, Matt. I might just come get you without you having to expect it.”
Matt was shaking now. He was sweating even more. He had a hard time speaking. “Ah- uh-…”
“Don’t be scared.” Winny said with a creepy tone. “It’s just me, the happy and kind girl that you’ve always known so far. Do you remember who I am?”
“Re… mem… ber?”
“It seems as though you have forgotten. Santi must have done something devastating. You poor thing, Matthew Tran… hmhm.”
Matt was still paralyzed from the surprise. “(Who is this girl?! How does she know…? How?!?!)”
~~~
---- Next chapter preview:Matt: Showing in episode 56... just who is this girl? She knows a lot about me but I only seen her just today! She also tells me about my life in Critical Thinking class during the past summer. I don't remember such thing.
Santi: Your memory is on hold.
Matt: HOW COULD YOU DO SUCH A THING TO ME?! Why?!
Winny: Eh? Are you surprised?
Jaime: Phew! I'm exhausted. What is this in my cellphone? I should see what it is.
Matt: We seem to be entering Echoville. What will be revealed in this new world? Next week on episode 56, The Mysterious Two-Hearted Girl!
Winny: Which two-hearted girl?
Matt: Euh!

0 comments:
Post a Comment