Episode 7: Matt’s Identity Revealed?!
Jen jumped out of her car and said to her mother, “You know, you don’t really need to drop me off at school anymore, okay?” She said it kindly specifically to her mother.
Jen’s mother was holding onto the steering wheel, “You’re only fourteen. And look at those!” She pointed at Jen’s short-shorts, “I don’t know when you started wearing that, but if you’re going to at least wear that, don’t flaunt it in public.”
Jen glanced at her, “Mom! Don’t think of me like that…” Jen’s mother was the kind of mom who acted business-like whenever Jen’s father was out at work. Jen’s mother has to act very appropriate for her two children in order to prevent them from losing their innocence.
Jen’s mother went on, “And that new hairstyle! All the guys would want you now. You better watch out. And, I’m watching you too.” She gave a fierce stare at Jen, “I have to drive back now. Your sister’s school starts in about twenty minutes.” She drive away as Jen gave a huge sigh.
“You’re only about less than two blocks away from home…” She turned around and Lisa elbowed her. “Ow, what is it?”
Lisa giggled, “I like your new look.” Lisa was Jen’s best friend since two years ago. Lisa was the only girl who was kind to Jen in her math class in the seventh grade. They both shared the same interest and they bonded very well ever since. Lisa acts as a caretaker of Jen whenever Jen accidentally causes mischief. Lisa questioned her, “About your friend Matt…”
Jen tilted her head in confusion, “What do you mean?”
“You said he’s been hanging out with his new friends lately. Yet, you still act as if he’s very important to you.”
“W-What?! Lisa, he’s very important to me. It’s not bad to meet new friends. I mean he still talks to me…”
“Does he still talk to you as much as before in the past?” Lisa questioned her.
“W-Well, not really. Throughout our eight years, we haven’t really bonded much until just last year. We talked a lot through the internet for three years.” Lisa still watched Jen as Jen giggled, “Eheh, let’s stop talking about this. It’s pointless.” She smiled and she walked away.
~~~
Matt was with Santi at the basketball courts, “Hey, did you tell Shirley to meet up inside the cafeteria?”
Santi scratched his head, “Ah, well about that… I told her, but I won’t be able to make it.”
Matt yelled, “Hey! You’re the one who came up with the idea of making this meeting. Didn’t you want to this because we can try and figure it out ourselves?”
Santi frowned, “I’m sorry. I got more important business to take care of. It’s a daily lunch thing. Haven’t you noticed that I never really appear while you’re at lunch? It’s an urgent school thing.”
Matt thought for awhile as he said slowly, “Hm, alright then… But before the bell rings for lunch, I have to tell you something. Sometimes, my powers don’t work at all.”
“That happens to me too. If you think logically, we never really mentioned it for the past few days and weeks since we met each other. This only means that it occurs at random times which are difficult for me to guess the fixed time.”
“Oh, I see. What else have you come up with?”
“Well, Matt, I’ve been trying to figure out how we got these powers. I remember you told me you saw something in the sky and then fainted. I saw the thing in the sky too, but I naturally fell asleep minutes later while I was at home. This was during sunset.”
Matt was surprised. “Wait a minute! You’re saying that thing I saw wasn’t just during the time I fell?”
“Of course. If I was able to see it, then it must have been shown for quite awhile. The troubling factor to this is that since it lasted from when you and I saw it, in between this hours, there must have been lots more people who seen it.” Santi became worried, “I’m pretty sure all those people are in our school but they’re really good at hiding it. Or, they probably don’t know about it yet. I want you to ask Shirley when she found out about her powers. It was not long after us. The real confusion is when Danny used his powers. We haven’t seen him use it on the first day of school. In fact, he used it a week after. I wanted to know how long ago he started using it. It’s too bad he’s gone.”
Matt got off his seat, “Hm, I get it now. I think I’ll start heading for the cafeteria right after the bell rings.”
~~~
Jen was in the cafeteria. She was eating and talking to herself, “That damn Matt, always have to leave me and tell me he’s busy. I bet Lisa is right. I bet Matt does have new friends to go to! But no… Matt’s not like that. Maybe I should stop worrying about it. Yeah, Jen, stop worrying about it.” She shook her head as she took another barbaric bite of her burger as if she was angry at heart. Shirley took a seat next to Jen and she sat down. Jen turned her head, “Huh? Um, hey, you, girl… Matt’s going to sit there. There’s no more seats. I’m so sorry-…”
“Third row from the nutrition facts list, upper row from the third, right on the fifth seat. This is where Matt told me to sit.”
Jen’s eyes opened wide, “What? Who are you?”
Shirley turned to Jen without interest, “I’m Shirley Cao. Matt is late.”
Jen turned away and she blushed. She said to herself, “Oh my gosh, what is Matt up to? I’m wondering about this- Ah! I see Matt. Um, um…!” She began to place a hood over her head.
Matt looked for a seat but there were no more seats. Matt went in between Jen and Shirley, “Psst! Shirley, I have to tell you about the secret. There are no more seats so follow me. I know another place to talk about it-…”
Jen suddenly ripped her jacket away and she turned around with a blasting voice, “MATT YOU BASTARD! You make a new friend of whom I’ve never seen before and all the sudden you’re telling her secrets like you’re her best friend!” She said in an evil tone as she was poking Matt step by step, “Heh, but I know your plans! You want to get rid of me because you think I’m boring. But let me tell you one thing, mister. I changed my looks. I’m just as pretty as that short-shorts freak that you’re talking to. What’s her name, Shirley?!”
Shirley pointed back at Jen, “H-Hey! You’re wearing short-shorts too!”
Jen crossed her arms, “You’re lying!”
Matt fell to the ground, “What the hell…”
Jen went on, “At least I’m not a pro at wearing short-shorts!”
Shirley shook her head, “What are you talking about?! How can I be pro at wearing something?”
Jen laughed, “HA-HA! Don’t lie to me! You know you’re pro at it. Look at those pretty shiny legs if yours. Hmph!”
Shirley rolled her eyes, “Yeah right. Look at your legs, they’re just as pretty and shiny!”
Jen said angrily, “Thank you! I’m not hungry any more because of you. We should go outside and talk about this more. Geez!”
Shirley screamed in anger, “I agree!!”
They both left and Matt was on the floor, “Why would they compliment each other in anger and then just walk away…? Eh…” He suddenly stood up, “But I got no time left! I need to tell Shirley about it or else I have to wait another day. Santi will get mad at me for sure… Or… Hehehe.”
~~~
Shirley giggled, “Of course! That’s why you should use my brand. It’s the healthiest. It makes your legs taste like sugar candy.”
Matt suddenly came up to Shirley, “Shirley, Shirley! There’s a fire at the alley near the math center! You’ve got to do something!”
Shirley gasped, “Oh my gosh! Really? But what can I do? This is terrible…!” Matt gave an empty expression and Shirley was confused for a moment, “OH!!! Let’s go!!”
Jen stomped her foot, “Matt, not again! What the heck is going on?!”
At the alley, there was a trashcan on fire, but only the wrapper was being vital. Shirley used her ice to try and cool down the fire, “Phew! It’s shrinking. Anyway, I’m pretty much done. I should be on the school newspaper as ‘Girl Who Saves Poor Trashcan from Flames’.”
Matt rolled his eyes, “That’s a horrible title. Anyways, I need to tell you something important!”
Jen came closer but she stopped as she heard them talk. She hid behind a wall. Shirley became serious, “Hm? What is it?”
“Well, Santi wanted me to ask you about when you got your powers.”
“Huh? I got it on the first day of high school. That’s why I was sorta able to notice the repeat when Santi reversed everything.” Shirley questioned him, “Why?”
Jen opened her eyes wide in surprise. Matt answered her, “Because Santi needed to figure out when we started getting these strange powers. You, getting the power of freezing things and me getting the powers of fire, something’s strange. We still don’t even know what’s going on.”
Shirley sighed, “I know… and to think we’d use it heroically too. Nothing has been going on at all, yet. Do you really think these powers are useless and wrong?”
“Of course! I’ve always thought that. It chills me to the bone to think that we have these powers. All it does is getting in our way from our normal lives. It’s hard to hide it from people. Lately, Jen’s been bugging me about my life but I just can’t tell her about this.” Matt was shaking. “I’m scared that if someone scares me or freaks me out, I’ll set out fire again. Who knows if that will come back…?”
Jen’s hair was covering her eyes and expression as she was facing the ground.
~~~
Matt, Stan, Kalpesh, and Jen were all at Jen’s backyard. Jen sat down on her little lunch table, “So… anyone got anything to talk about?” She glared at Matt.
Matt was getting nervous. Kalpesh spoke, “Yeah! So today, I went to third period and I saw a bunch of people just rushing out of-…”
Jen screamed at him, “HOW ABOUT SOMETHING INTERESTING?! Hm? Hm?!” She was on the table, screaming directly at Matt.
Matt looked away, “What the heck are you doing, Jen?”
Jen crossed her arms, “You’re hiding something, aren’t you?” Matt noticed that within her pocket was a square-shaped figure.
Matt got angry, “What are you talking about?! I’m not hiding anything.”
Jen was about to respond but Kalpesh, out of fright, quickly interrupted, “Uh, we should go now, Stan. There’s dinner at my house, remember? Let’s go!”
They both left and Stan said with annoyance, “But my house is closer. I don’t want to go to your house-…”
Jen was alone with Matt now. She gave an evil grin, “So, Matt, you should explain yourself.”
Matt got up, “I-I should go too. It’s almost dinner time and I need to take the bus anyway.” He was heading for the door.
Jen suddenly gave up, “Ah, really?” She was looking at the door, “Alright then… you might as well leave.” Matt gave a concerned expression and he was walking away anyway. “Fire and ice, hm?”
Matt stopped, “Huh? W-What are you talking about…?”
Jen pointed at him, “I don’t know how it’s possible, but it is! According to your conversation with Shirley, you have the power of fire. No wonder you’ve stopped hanging out with me. You’re too busy with your friends who are just as weird as you are. Actually, I would have been okay with this if you told me about it! We’re best friends, Matt…!”
Matt stuttered, “I… I…”
“Confess right now, Matt. Please, you can tell me anything.”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Matt ignored her. As he reached the door, Jen said, “That’s right. Walk away. But that’s not going to make you and I much better than before. I can’t trust you anymore, Matt.” It seemed as though she suddenly have given up on Matt.
Matt touched the door, “I’m sorry, Jen… But…” Jen giggled and she quickly pressed a button in her hands.
Matt was getting shocked from the door, “Ergh!! Ow, ow, ow!! What the hell was that for?!!”
Jen suddenly yelled at him, “HAH! You fell for it! And with that shock, I know. I know it all!” She ran up to him, “I know that-… What…?” She looked around him, “Where’s the fire? Where is it?!”
Matt got up as he patted his pants, “You’re dangerous, Jen! And what fire?! I don’t know what you’re talking about. If you’re talking about the thing I told Shirley, I was just kidding because… I knew you were there. (When was she listening in on us?!)”
Jen sighed, “Oh… is that so? I’m sorry Matt, I’m so sorry. But why are you talking to new friends and talking to me less now?”
Matt shook her, “That’s not it, Jen! You’re expecting too much of me. As a best friend, I care about you a lot. But we shouldn’t be attached like this for so long. I know that someday, we’ll have to let go of each other…” Jen froze and Matt questioned her, “Jen…?”
Jen giggled, “I-It’s nothing. You can go now, hehe. I’m so sorry.”
Matt was leaving, “Alright. Sorry about everything too, then.” Jen was still frightened. As Matt closed the door, he wiped his forehead, “PHEW.”
~~~
---- Next chapter preview:Matt: On the next chapter, I will need help on my math homework once again! Hey, it's only been a few weeks after the Summer. Give me a little more time to adjust for school.
Stan: Damn, you're crappy. Do your math homework on time for once.
Matt: It's not my fault! Our math teacher's class is pretty tough.
Stan: *sigh*
Matt: Next chapter... A Great Garden in Danger!


0 comments:
Post a Comment