Episode 8: A Great Garden in Danger
“Hey! Hey Stan! Stan, Stan, Stan, Stan! Help!!” Matt ran towards Stan from across the large gym, “Next period is our math class and I don’t understand anything on the homework!”
Jen took Matt’s paper, “Huh? Algebra 1… I don’t know anything.”
Matt snatched the paper from her, “Hey, I was asking Stan. And besides, Jen, you got into Geometry the unfair way…” He began to plot images of the description, “First, we took the Geometry placement test back around May last year in eighth grade. Turns out, not even one single student who came here was able to get into Geometry. All of us were supposed to get into Algebra 1. I’m not sure about your friend, Lisa, but the rest of us just sucked horribly on the test.”
Jen said in a conceited tone, “Hmph! 31 out of 45 is not bad for someone who came from our middle school math class, okay?!”
Matt closed his eyes in disappointment, “Anyways… you asked your counselor if you can be in Geometry and she said ‘okay’ in an instant!”
Jen said quietly, “Geometry Accelerated is what I’m going to change to soon…”
“What?”
“Oh! N-Nothing.”
Matt went on, “And I should have done that! But NO, I had to be a follower of Stan and stay in Algebra 1. Geez, I regret it.”
“What, are you going to blame it all on me, Matt? You’re the one who listened to me. In fact, you’re the one who dropped Algebra 1 in the summer.” Stan said in annoyance.
Matt stomped his foot, “But still! We were taught only chapters one through nine in our middle school math class and all the sudden I was offered a class in high school that started off in chapter eleven. How was I supposed to know what to do? I even stayed to try it out. I failed the first test which is guaranteed to make me stay in Algebra 1 during the school year which would be a waste of time. Then again, I heard someone was in the class for the summer and got a good grade but he was not able to get into Geometry for no reason. It’s pretty sad. But still, Stan! You have to help me on my homework!”
Stan agreed to take Matt’s paper, “Fine! Geez. You’ve been asking for help almost every day now.”
“Hey, don’t blame me. When the math teacher teaches, he teaches. If I don’t understand, he moves on.”
~~~
In Matt and Stan’s math class, the math teacher was giving the answers to the homework assignment. The grading scale is graded by two points, and one for each that is done but is incorrect. If all questions are wrong, then their homework score is a five out of a ten. The result of the homework gave both Matt and Stan a five. Stan yelled, “What?! H-How can this be?”
Matt whispered to Stan, “Hey, look what you did to us.”
Stan was annoyed, “Shut up!” He said to the math teacher, “Hey, how did this happen? Tell us how to do it.”
The math teacher closed his book, “Too late. We’re having a test today.”
“TEST? You never mentioned a test!” Stan said angrily.
“Yes, I did. I saw you and Matt talking to each other but I didn’t bother to shush you guys up. It was your problem.” The math teacher said bluntly.
Stan was clenching his teeth, “It was Matt who started to bug me… Ergh…”
Matt looked away, “Eh, my bad. I just needed help on my math homework.”
“Again?! You’re so retarded, Matt. Ugh, I hate this damn class. I don’t know anything for the test anymore thanks to the math teacher.” Stan was clenching his fists as well.
Matt said in a sad tone, “(Aw man, it’s my fault…)”
Minutes later, during the test, the math teacher’s wife entered the room. She began to ask him for some money in order to buy more seeds for her lovely garden. She started telling him about her success on their backyard and how well it’s going. Matt noticed that Stan gave a long pause on the test.
~~~
At the end of the school day, Matt was looking for Stan. “Stan, Stan!! Where are you? Your sixth period should be Computer Concepts… Hm…”
Kalpesh barged into Matt, “Oh, hey Matt. What are you doing over here?”
Matt questioned him, “You came out of my class just now, so I should be asking the same thing. But, I don’t have time for that. Where is Stan?”
Kalpesh shrugged, “Eh, I don’t know. He said something about going to some house for a nice barbeque and he had a lighter with him. Then we got into the conversation of math and he said he’s going to try to do his best to get a good grade on his test.”
Matt frowned, “Damn, but the math teacher gave us an assignment at the end of the class that I need help on. I guess I’ll just go AIM him at home then. Thanks!”
Kalpesh grabbed Matt’s shoulder sleeves, “Ah, wait! He said he won’t be home for awhile.”
Matt glared at him, “What the… oh fine. Well, see ya then!”
Matt was waiting for the bus at the bus stop. He was sitting down, thinking about how badly he must have done on the test. He most likely messed Stan up in their math class in general. He gave a sigh and he kept thinking about it. As Matt got on the bus, he sat down to think about it more. “Barbeque, barbeque… barbeque… Hm- Wait. Why would Stan try his best to get a good grade on his test when we just took it? That makes no sense at all.” He began to think about his powers, “More importantly, how would I get rid of these? Fire… hrm.” Then it hit him. Fire. Fire… Matt gasped, “Wait, don’t tell me…!”
As the bus stopped at Matt’s stopping point, Matt quickly jumped out and he was running towards his house. As he arrived at his house, he rushed to his chair and turned on his computer. He screamed at it, “Come on, computer! Faster!” As he got to the desktop, he began to go on the school’s website. Matt paused, “No wait, it’s not a good idea for a teacher to give away their house information. Crap, I have to do something!”
~~~
Matt got his house phone and he called Shirley Cao, “Hey Shirley, are you still at school?” On the other line, it was very loud. “What the hell are you doing?”
Shirley was at the bleachers, waiting for the football game, “WHAT DID YOU SAY?! I can’t hear you!”
Matt screamed at her, “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!”
Shirley screamed at him as well, “I’M AT A FOOTBALL GAME. EVERYONE IS SCREAMING FOR THE GAME TO START EARLY.”
Matt shook his head, “Never mind that! CAN YOU GO TO THE ATTENDANCE OFFICE?”
Shirley covered her ears as she went down to the bottom of the bleachers, “Anyways, why?”
“I need you to check the math teacher’s house address on the list.”
“What for? You’re such a stalker, haha-…”
“I’M SERIOUS!! Hurry up, Shirley, just hurry up!!”
Shirley began to run, “Alright already!” As Shirley arrived at the attendance office, she pointed at the math teacher’s address, “This is all you need right?”
On Matt’s line, Matt began to write the math teacher’s address, “Yeah. I got it. Thanks, bye!” Matt suddenly hung up.
Shirley was confused, “What was that all about? Hm, forget about him going into the girl’s restroom. I’ll just call him a stalker.”
~~~
Matt urged his oldest brother to drive him to the address. It took many minutes for Matt to arrive at the math teacher’s house. His brother drove away and Matt quickly headed for the front door. He knocked on the door several times, as well as ringing the door bell. For about two minutes, there was no answer. Then, obviously, he saw that there were no cars in the driveway, “Oh no! They must be buying more seeds for Mrs. Hill’s garden. This is not good.” Matt ran to the side of the house to look for a doorway to the side yard and the backyard. As Matt arrived at the backyard, he saw Stan kneeling down.
Matt screamed at him, “Stop, Stan!”
Stan turned around in surprise, “Huh?! What are you doing here?!”
Matt stomped with his right foot, “What do you think you’re doing? Doing that isn’t going to fix ANYTHING.”
Stan had a lighter on his hand and his hand was close to the plants, “But… but the math teacher was being unreasonable to his students. He deserves this really much!”
Matt did not know how to respond. He decided to bring in general ideas, “But, you should handle this better. At least tell the guidance office about this. Don’t just decide to burn his- uh, his wife’s garden! Look how nice it is already. She’s not even a part of our math class!”
“This can go directly towards our Critical Thinking class in the summer. Remember how many books we had to read in a month? REMEMBER how many essays we had to write in a month?! Both of them gave me a hard time already in high school. It’s only been less than a month for each person!” Stan kicked the dirt from the garden.
Matt jumped, “What are you talking about? H-Hey! Don’t do that! It’s THEIR garden! We’re not even supposed to be here. What if people see us?! What if they come back?”
Stan looked down, “Matt… no matter what you say… nothing’s going to stop me!” Stan quickly turned around and he turned on the lighter.
Matt screamed, “NO!! Stop it!” The lighter struck a leaf as it spread. Flames started to come up all around, starting from where Stan fired. Stan laughed as he ran for the only exit, which was behind Matt.
Matt stopped him and he grabbed Stan’s shirt. Stan fought back. They were getting closer to the fire. Stan gave him a push and Matt did the same. Stan fell to the ground, feeling angrier. He stood up and he pushed Matt even harder this time and Matt slipped on a rock, falling painfully back into the flames. Stan’s mind came back to his senses. He watched Matt fall into the fire, “WHAT?! No way. Matt, Matt!! No!!!” Stan was about to run directly into the fire to save him but a rock came out of nowhere and it hit Stan on the head, causing him to faint…
~~~
At school, Stan saw Matt standing perfectly normal on the other side of the large gym. He ran up to Matt, “Hey! What the hell is this?”
Matt acted idiotic, “What are you talking about?”
“Your clothes, your face, your everything! What happened?”
Matt laughed, “Whoa, you’re going crazy, haha! I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
Stan touched his head, “I must have had a dream.”
“Yeah, I know.” Matt said with a sure smile. Stan gave a stare but he walked away.
Shirley, who was next to him, was watching Matt with suspicion. Santi was beside Matt as well. Shirley pointed at Matt, “Okay, speak up, mister! Explain what the heck happened!”
Matt began to laugh again and Santi explained the story, “Well, I guess Stan was very angry about the way his math class was treating him. So, for revenge, he wanted to burn down Mrs. Hill’s garden. Matt came in time to try and stop Stan, but Stan burned down Mrs. Hill’s garden anyway. Matt and Stan began pushing each other in anger and Stan ended up pushing Matt into the fire. Matt saw him stupidly running towards the flames just to save him, so he threw the biggest rock nearby and hit Stan on the head. Matt called for me to come and reverse the time of the fire. After, I asked my parents to come and drive Matt home, along with Stan. I would have reversed Stan’s memory but Matt said he wants Stan to learn his lesson. So I only reversed his bruise from the rock.”
Shirley slapped her forehead in shame, “Oh my gosh, you two. You both risked the dangers so much. You know how many people would have seen the fire? A lot. A lot!! They must have been people who have powers as well! If they notice this is not on the news, then something’s wrong.”
Santi looked away in embarrassment, “Crap, I haven’t thought of that.”
Matt was shaking, “Aw man, Santi! You’re supposed to be the smart one here!”
Shirley grabbed Matt by the collar, “What did you say?!”
Matt tugged her away, “Ack, don’t do that. Ouch!”
Shirley continued to scream, “Stop abusing your powers! But then again, what else would have been a better idea- Oh I know! STOP BOTHERING STAN DURING CLASS.”
Matt took a step away, “Whoa, whoa, hey! How did you know that I bother him a lot?”
Shirley gave an evil giggle, “Heh-heh-heh, Jen claims she still knows you so well. She told me she knows you bother him in math class.”
Matt sighed, “That’s because I told her that two days ago… Bleh. But still! You should have seen me in the fire. Didn’t you think our plan went well? Haha. I’m so lucky that I didn’t get burned in the fire. I thank my fire powers!”
Shirley was surprised, “Wow, Matt. You finally praised your powers for once.”
“I thought I did already?” Matt was confused.
“Yeah, but not as lovely as this one this time! That’s so nice of you to save your best friend from danger instead of getting in trouble. I wish I had a best friend like you.~ HAHA.” Shirley teased him and Matt blushed.
Matt crossed his arms and he looked away, “Whatever…”
~~~
---- Next chapter preview:Matt: On the next chapter, a mysterious girl appears! Wait... I don't know her name yet! But, she does appear with a strange power. I must find out what she wants from me. After all, she could be untrustworthy.
Santi: Eh, I'm taking a break.
Matt: What?! No, stay in the next chapter. I'm going to need your help!
Santi: Go ask Shirley.
ShirleyC: Here I am!
Matt: Ugh... Next chapter... The Girl of the Winds In Alert, Part 1!


0 comments:
Post a Comment