Episode 9: The Girl of the Winds in Alert – Part 1
It had not been so windy before since over half a year ago. Matt made sure he wore two sweaters this time. Once Matt got out of the car, he covered his eyes, “OH mother f-… Freezing!” He closed his eyes as a piece of debris flew into it. He could feel a bunch of more debris pressing against his hands. He took a pair of glasses out of his pockets as he wore them, “Perfect! I can’t really see in these glasses, but they’re better than getting hurt from all that crap in the wind.” He slightly took sight of a dog flying in the air, “Why is the wind so strong for?!”
“Matt!” A girl’s voice was heard from his right.
Matt turned to his right, “Uh? Oh- Oh! Shirley!” He ran up to a girl and said, “There you are. Hey listen, I-…”
A different voice was heard, “Uh, you creep. I don’t even know you.” Matt seemed to spot the wrong girl. She pushed him and walked away. Behind the girl was the real Shirley.
Shirley rolled her eyes, “It’s those glasses. Take them off!”
Matt shook his head, “No way! Look how windy it is.” Shirley sighed.
~~~
In the large gym, Matt took off his glasses. He told Jen, “Did you feel that?! That was such a wind earlier.”
Jen shook her head, “Not really… It was a little breezy. I think you might as well bring a heater. You really have no meat to protect yourself from the cold.”
Matt turned away and said in a joking manner, “Actually…~”
Jen took out a book, “Guess what, I think I’m starting to find an interest in reading.”
Matt looked at her book, “Hm… not really.”
“That’s funny. You like to write but you hate to read. Why is that?”
“They don’t really relate, Jen. When I write, I would want to write anything at my own will. When I read, I have to imagine it their way.”
“You’re so demanding. But anyway, I should talk to my friend, Isabel. She seems lonely over there.” Jen got up and she was about to take a step away.
“Eh, her again. Alright then.”
Jen stopped and turned around, “Huh? What is it?”
“Her art always seems to be better known than mine. I guess I’m just never out there these days.” Matt seemed depressed.
Jen gave a frown, “Oh… Are you talking about how she won the ‘Best Artist’ title in the yearbook last year?”
“No! It’s not that… It’s not that at all. I just… think…”
Jen giggled as she knelt down, “Don’t worry, Matt. You should think logically at something like this. Remember how the yearbook class was really terrible last year in middle school? They started making the yearbook a month before the last day of school! And they didn’t have time to think. On top of that, Isabel happened to have connections with yearbook students so they just became overly biased and chose her to be the best artist. Although I’m not saying she’s better or not, I think you both are great artists but in different ways. She likes to draw Disney characters while you like to draw your own freshly made characters. Think about who’s more creative, how about that?”
Matt gave a soft smile, “Y-Yeah… Thanks, Jen.” Jen giggled again as she stood up and walked over to Isabel, “Think about whose more creative… I really wish I had a friend who can actually teach me how to draw better. That’d be nice.” He started to shiver, “Eugh, I think I need to go to the restroom. Hm, where is it?”
Shirley Cao, who happened to be behind Matt, pointed to the right, “That way. You go down there.”
Matt gave her a glare, “Er… how did you know I needed to go to the restroom?”
Shirley crossed her arms, “What, you think I can’t tell by the looks of when you’re shivering and holding onto your private areas? Hurry up, go to the restroom!”
Matt jumped up and ran for it, “A-Alright then!”
~~~
Down the tunnel-like hall, he saw the restroom and did his business. He washed his hands and looked into the mirror, “Ah… I feel better. It was stupid of me to forget to go to the restroom before even leaving the house.” All the sudden, the vent on the doorway began pushing in mist. Matt turned his head to stare at it, “Huh? What the heck…?” He took a step back in fear, “Don’t tell me it’s gotten windy outside again. He put on his glasses as he decided to open the door.
He tried to see through the blur. All he could notice was that the door that led to the tunnel-like hall was closed, same with the doorway out the back of the large gym. Both ends were closed! Matt coughed from the mist, “Ugh. To think they’d close the door for a second because of the wind, and it all comes rushing in while bring trapped in here. I gotta get out of here.”
Matt was about to open the door that led to the tunnel-like hall but a voice was heard, “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” Matt turned around in surprise. He could not see a thing but all of the mist quickly dispersed.
Even with the blur, Matt knew the wind was gone so it was safe to take off his glasses. As he took them off, he saw an unfamiliar girl, “Uh, who are you?”
“All this time, I’ve kept myself on the down-low, you see?”
“But wait, who are you in the first place?”
“I am Yessenia Zhou. I have something really important to tell you.”
“And that mist just now… what did you do?”
“That is what I’m about to tell you.” She summoned a large sword out of her hands, “See?”
Matt shook his head in confusion, “W-Wait, hold on a minute! How did you do that?!”
Yessenia chuckled. She sounded evil, but her intentions did not seem like so, “Does it surprise you? I’m telling you that I am similar to you. I know time has been reversing but I’ve snuck up on you a few times only to see that you can only produce fire. Tell me, how many of you are there?”
“Y-You mean people like me?”
“Yes, how many?”
“I… don’t know.”
“I can see those lies in your eyes. I won’t get mad for that as I do understand how you feel. Fine, you do not have to tell me who has such powers. My power is to produce wind. I learned to produce mist just a few days after getting the powers. Then this sword happened to show up a few days ago when I…”
Matt thought in his mind, “Why did she stop talking? Who is this girl…?”
“Listen, do you know a boy named Jon?” Yessenia asked with eager.
Matt jumped in surprise, “(Don’t tell me, she’s…!) Do you know him?”
“Yes… I’ve known him for so many years. He was perfectly fine in the past but lately he’s been acting different. I don’t know if it’s just me, but these powers suddenly disappear when I’m nearby him.”
Matt’s stomach was having butterflies. He thought in his mind, “That’s what it was!! That time after we saw Jon… Santi, Shirley, and I couldn’t use our powers at all until the next day. What did Jon do to us?”
Matt spoke out loud, “Why did you mention him?”
Yessenia made her sword disappear, “I need your help. We need to stop Jon or else we can’t use these powers anymore.”
Matt seemed confused, “Wait, wouldn’t that be a good thing? I don’t really like these powers.”
Yessenia took a step closer and she said angrily, “But, you don’t understand! I learned this somewhere but I forgot when and where I got the source. I remember learning that yes, these powers might get in our way. However, its powers like Jon and much other unrevealing strength that seems to unravel. Their purpose is to go against us.”
“…What are you trying to say?” Matt did not want to look at her. He was getting nervous.
Yessenia closed her eyes and gave a pause. She opened her eyes and they seemed to shine with anger, “Powers like those were created to destroy people like us!!”
Matt froze in fear, “W-Wha? No… this can’t be. You’re lying! You’re really lying!”
Yessenia punched the wall, “You can believe that all you want. But I’m not going to stop. I want to find Jon. He’s been missing a few times except in class. Even if I see him in class, the teacher is there so I can’t make any move. That’s why I need your help, along with your comrades. It seems like you are unaware of the truth.”
Matt looked at his hands. He produced fire as he watched it, “So… this fire… is meant to be for the good? But I don’t understand. Fire is supposed to destroy things or make things worse.”
Yessenia nodded, “You’re right. That can be true, but think about the times you used it. I know about the garden. I saw the fire on the news and then on the next day, no one knew about it. Only I was able to remember watching you rush in the fire. Someone out there has the power to reverse the time.”
Matt blurted, “…Alright, you got me, Yessenia. I do have a friend who has powers. (It seems as though I can trust her.)”
Yessenia smiled, “Thank goodness. Tell him or her about this. I really need to move on with finding Jon. I will stop with the wind now that I’ve got a chance to speak with you alone. See you later, Matt!” She opened the back door and ran.
Jen opened the door from the tunnel-like hall, “Huh? Matt? What are you doing?”
Matt turned around, “Huh? Nothing. I just didn’t like how there was so many people talking and making loud noises in the large gym. I’m fine now.” He walked with Jen back onto the bleachers inside the large gym, “(That girl didn’t even ask for Santi’s name. It just shows she really can be trusted. Hm…)”
~~~
Once Matt and Jen sat back down, Jen tapped her head, “Oh yeah! I forgot to ask… Are you going to the Back to School Night thing tonight?”
“Why? It’s pointless. I didn’t even know it was tonight.” Matt seemed careless.
“That’s because you really don’t pay much attention. But anyway, you can get extra credit!”
“I don’t really want extra credit though.” Matt said in annoyance.
Jen was surprised, “You’re going to regret it. I know your grades. Don’t ask how I know!”
“Shirley told you.”
Jen fell to the ground, “Bleh- How did you know?!”
“She tells you everything, well ever since you guys started yelling angrily to each other about how your shorts are pretty which made no sense at all.” Matt coughed.
Jen stomped, “Ooh that deserves a good punching in the face!”
Matt gasped as he stood up and ran away. Jen followed him. There was a dark figure that took a step behind them.
~~~
As Matt was sitting at him, he got an AIM message, “Hello.” It said.
Matt raised one of his eyebrows, “Who’s AIM is this?” Matt responded, “Hi. Who is this?”
“I think you should go to Back to School Night.” It responded.
Matt scratched his head, “Er…” He began to type back, “I don’t know if I should. But who is this??”
“You don’t need to know. I just want to tell you what’s best for your future. That extra credit should mean a lot. You lack the interest and that’s not how you should be.”
Matt became annoyed, “I’ll do what I want… What if I were to block you? I really don’t want to but I sorta have to if you keep messing with my mind like this.”
“I’m sure you wouldn’t want that.”
Matt had his cursor on the block button but he stopped and typed back, “What do you mean?”
“You never really take things for granted. I promise you, going to the Back to School Night thing tonight will be a good idea. All you have to do is go to your extra credit classes for all I care.”
Matt thought in his mind, “This is probably Shirley. Eh, she won’t stop annoying me so I guess I’ll go. Or, I don’t have to go and pretend I did go, hehe.”
Minutes later, the person responded again, “I see you haven’t asked yet.”
Matt froze in fear, “W-What?” He typed to the mysterious person, “What are you talking about? Of course I did.”
“You’re only sitting there. If you don’t ask your parents, then something bad WILL happen.”
Matt was scared as he stood up and opened the door. He thought to himself, “What the hell is going on?! Who is this person? If I don’t do it, what if this weirdo does something? They’re looking at me from outside, that’s for sure. Should I pretend I don’t notice…?” He arrived at his kitchen and he asked his mom, “Hey mom…” Matt sighed and asked, “Can we go to the Back to School Night thing in a few hours?”
His mom placed a cup in the cover, “Huh? What for?”
Matt responded, “Well, I want to go for extra credit. It’s helpful, I guess.”
His mother frowned, “Aw, I was planning to rest tonight. Oh well, I guess I’ll go. After all, that extra credit can be worth something, right? And besides, I can always pretend to feel interested and go with you. Haha.”
Matt looked away, “Oh thanks. That makes me feel so much better…~”
On the other line of Matt’s responder, the mysterious person said in an evil tone, “Perfect. You are falling right into my plans, hehehe…”
~~~
---- Next chapter preview:Matt: On the next chapter, we will continue with the Back to School Night event! I guess I'm going to this useless event. I'll just go to my extra credit classes and then I can head straight home.
Jen: You need to go for that extra credit!
Matt: Stop reminding me!! Next chapter... The Girl of the Winds In Alert, Part 2!


0 comments:
Post a Comment